Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Monday, June 7, 2010

Job Befuzzlement

I have this part time job as a bookkeeper, which I find a bit funny because I never ever dreamed of being a bookkeeper. I've had the job since Anna was a baby - took it for the convenience of it really... easy job, flexibilty, nice boss, extra cash. When Evan was on the way I transitioned the job to work from home... more flexibilty. So now it's been about five years at this job... actually five years plus one boss's wife minus my co-worker (who seems to have been driven off by said wife)... and I'm feeling the nearly uncontrollable urge to move on. For some reason it seems the wife and I are incapable of working together without completely aggravating each other, which I don't understand really since I do try to be friendly. It's not my fault that she doesn't have the depth of knowledge that I do... I try to explain things in a helpful way.

Anyway... maybe I'm not meant to work for someone else. I have a freelance writing job now that I really enjoy. Or maybe five years is simply too long to spend doing a job just to collect the paycheck without losing my mind! As I think back on my "career" (in the loosest sense of the word), I don't think I've ever stayed at a job longer than five years, a fact that I justify by my inability to figure out what I really want to be when I grow up. I have not yet found a job that is truly a match for me. Trouble is, with three kids, I'm afraid I've almost grown up and still don't know. Eek!

Ah, well... if not for that nice little extra bit o' cash, I'd say good-bye to this bookkeeping job in a heartbeat, and set off to discover my passion. Just as soon as I found someone to watch the kids for me. Sigh!

No comments: