Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Thoughts

So it's Memorial Day again. A nice three-day weekend, a good time to have a cook-out or go to the beach. Or remember - be mindful - that war is hell. When I think about the true purpose of Memorial Day, it makes all the other activities of the weekend seem so frivolous, almost embarassing. Now I'm not saying we should scrap all fun plans for the holiday weekend; just that we should be sure to honor the day for what it is... our Remembrance Day to pay tribute to all who have given their lives for our country to help preserve our life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that we treasure. Blood has been shed, hearts have been broken, hopes have been destroyed. Many brave men and women have made the ultimate sacrifice, giving their lives to save ours, to preserve our freedom. To them and their loved ones I send out a Thank You.

And on quite another level I am reminded also of the One who gave His life for the whole world - because sin is hell. His blood was shed, hearts were broken, but a new hope has arisen. He gave His life as the perfect sacrifice, once and for all, to give us true and everlasting freedom that no one can take away. Through Christ we have life eternal and peace unshakable. To my gracious God, Lord of all, I send out a Thank You. Amen.

No comments: