Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Census 2010

I filled out our 2010 Census form recently, and now I am left puzzling a bit. Two things: 1. why do Hispanics get a whole separate question and 2. why is one race option simply "white?" I honestly would like to know.

What is the significance of being "Hispanic" that it warrants a whole question on a very brief census questionnaire? And if it is not a "race," as stated in the census, then what is it and why does it matter? It makes me wonder if there is some hidden agenda at work. Bring on the conspiracy theories!

And "white?" Really, that's it? My skin is not really white and I'm not from Whiteland or anything. Where is the option for European American? All the other groups have very descriptive, geographically based identifiers. There is no black, yellow, or red race option. How about Ukrainian/French/German/English American? That's something I can identify with! In hindsight I should have marked "other" for the sake of accuracy, but alas I dutifully marked "white" as I have been trained. Perhaps European Americans should try to increase awareness and sensitivity in our society so that we may be properly recognized by our land of origin.

No comments: