Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Monday, December 2, 2013

The Unfriending... Letting Go

Today I unfriended someone on Facebook. It was a first for me, and I thought about it for days before clicking it into reality.

I'm not one to burn bridges easily, and I hate to lose people. But this was not a real bridge burning as I could find no bridge remaining to connect us. This friend had become a ghost to me, a shadow of a ghost really, where there had once been a dear friend.

I hoped for a long time to see even a glimmer of the friend I once had. The one I trusted, in some ways, more than myself. The one with the strangely similar sense of humor and interests. We had our own lingo, and sometimes completed each other's sentences. That's the joy of best friends.

But people change. Life happens, and choices are made. For a long time I chose to hope. She chose to be silent. So today I clicked her into an Unfriend, but the irony is that nothing really changed with that click. She had been an Unfriend for a long time already. Now I just won't see her vacation pictures.

No comments: