Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Friday, October 5, 2012

Where Can I Find a Classic Movie? Or a Kid Show? Or...?

Okay, what is it with all these television networks changing up their formats? Most recently Nick Jr, known for its preschool programming, added an adult-themed NickMom line-up that starts at 10:00 pm complete with stand-up comedy and "reality" shows. Granted, there probably aren't too many preschoolers up that late watching tv, but family circumstances can vary greatly, and wouldn't it be nice to know you can count on a kid channel to have kid programming? Maybe that's just me.

This isn't the first case of station identity crisis. AMC (American Movie Classics) proudly boasts its series, The Walking Dead (among others). Movie? No. Classic? No. I guess it's at least American? Travel Channel features food shows; Food Network promotes travel shows. And when is the last time anyone has seen music videos on MTV? Dire Straits is left wondering why they wanted their MTV to begin with.

Does any of this matter? Not so much really, in the big scheme of things. And some of these cross-overs have resulted in some truly fine entertainment. But still it leaves one asking, "what's in a name?" Why even have a name and a self-proclaimed genre if you then abandon it as you please? Some may call it progress or an evolution of sorts. Or maybe it's just an identity crisis resulting from trying too hard to chase the money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I have to say, I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!

Traci said...

Thanks for the feedback! It means a lot.