Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Monday, December 12, 2011

Wonder in the Midst of Us

Presents, parties, treats, and general festivities... 'tis the season to run around like a crazy person trying to get it all done while clinging to the hope of reflecting on the meaning of Christmas... Standing in awe. Kneeling at the manger.

The trick of course, in the midst of all the busyness, is to find ways to let the peace of that first Holy Night settle me. Sometimes at night, after the kids have gone to bed, I like to sit at the foot of the Christmas tree with only its lights shining. As I gaze up, the colorful lights sparkle in my eyes and I find once more the childlike wonder of Christmas.

It is the wonder of a new star in the heavens. Of shepherds visited by angels. Of God in the flesh. It is the wonder of hope - of new life - for a dead world.

It is a story so improbable that many doubt. So pivotal that it divides history. So lavish in the lengths that Love would go to that it defies logic.

Take some time to remember. Stand in awe. And carry the wonder of Christmas in the midst of the season's busyness.

No comments: