Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Family Brand

Lately I've been thinking about the concept of branding. Typically applied to the marketing of products and businesses, branding can really be applied to almost anything, including yourself and your family.

Family branding is related to the idea of leaving a legacy. What do you want to be known for? What is your theme, your vibe, your reputation? I've met some families known for their thriftiness, or their indulgence of their kids, or their generous and helpful spirit.

To a certain extent, your family character develops on its own, an extension of members' personalities and opportunities. But I think it's good to at least be conscious of the brand idea... to think about it, maybe determine where you want to be heading and how to steer in that direction.

If we want our kids to be passionate and compassionate, to care about the bigger world, and so on, what steps do we need to take now in order to head that way? What activities, attitudes, priorities do we engage in, and do they support or undermine our ultimate goals?

In our family, we try to emphasize the biblical ideas of "love one another" and "do to others as you would have them do to you." It may sound rather generic, but these values, when emphasized consistently, can build the foundation of the strong, godly character that we desire. I think at this stage, with little kids, those two ideas will lead us in the right direction, and hopefully develop a family brand worth having.

No comments: