Hello!

Welcome to my blog... a place where I share my thoughts and observations of life and this crazy, wonderful world. I write my two cents about how I see things, but I would love to hear your comments and feedback. This could be a safe place for constructive dialogue and friendly discussion. I've always loved Thomas Jefferson's quote, which graces Clark Hall at my alma mater: "Here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." So "come now, let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Books, Books, Books

As I pack up the things in my home, making the gradual move from old house to new, I am learning that I am a collector. You may remember my realization that Jon and I are collectors of chairs a while back. But other than that, I thought my collecting days had ended long ago with Smurfs and unicorns. Not so, it seems... I also collect books. And recipes (oddly enough - more on that later).

Yesterday, I packed up five boxes of books from one bookcase. Pulling the books off the shelves, I was easily distracted as various books beckoned me to peruse their pages... marine biology from my college days, my journal from days spent in the village of Visomboh in Cameroon, a book about the Biltmore Estate, "Visioneering" by one of the Stanleys. Other books I did not take time to open, but were packed with care and fondness... children's books given to me as a child, books in French, works of fiction from "Where the Red Fern Grows" and other classics to "The Summerhouse" which I literally found somewhere but it turned out to be a fun read, books on Christian living/apologetics/doctrine, books on sociology and anthropology. So many interesting books! And so little time to read - it's tragic (almost)! Some of the books I have, I have not even read.

I love bookstores and libraries... so many fascinating subjects and ideas and thoughts out there. I worked in the Science and Engineering Library my fourth year in college, and it was a great job. Besides the fact that I could get some studying done and meet interesting people, I got to deal with all these books, many regarding topics I didn't even know existed. One day I would like to have a library in my home - a whole room devoted to books, with big old wooden chairs and table to sit at (just like in the old library in Clark Hall).

One book I want to track down is "Mr. Pine's Purple House." It was one of my favorites as a suburban kid in New Jersey. It's about this guy, Mr. Pine, who lives in a neighborhood where all the houses are the same. But he is unique and paints his house purple to express his individuality, but I think everyone ends up copying him and painting their houses purple, too. I've thought about Mr. Pine recently while painting the interior of our new house - our "house of many colors." I've never lived in a house that had much color on the walls, but I've just about chosen a different color for every room in this new house, though I think it flows rather nicely still. Maybe it's my artistic side coming out. Anyway, I've been meaning to get that book...

No comments: